Camtasia 9 Audio Artifacts

  • 1
  • Problem
  • Updated 1 year ago
I'm having issues with audio artifacts from my narration track when I publish a video in Camtasia 9. It's pulling word-length snippets from random places and inserting them randomly during transitions, and it's doing this inconsistently -- but at least once in every rendering. I didn't think anything of it during the video creation, but it comes out in the published end product. Is there a way to eliminate this, or is it a bug?
Photo of John Pendleton

John Pendleton

  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
  • Frustrated

Posted 2 years ago

  • 1
Photo of Timbre4

Timbre4, Champion

  • 649 Posts
  • 252 Reply Likes

Hello,

By chance is your audio MP3 VBR (variable bit rate)? That quirky behavior sounds like it. If so, converting to CBR (constant bit rate) using Handbrake or similar audio tool would correct that.

Photo of John Pendleton

John Pendleton

  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Oh, and thank you for responding. Nice to hear some barks back from the wilderness.
Photo of John Pendleton

John Pendleton

  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
The bit rate is 128kbps, and recorded on an original ZOOM H4. I have no way of telling whether the clips are variable or not. But this isn't a problem I ever encountered with Camtasia 8.6, using the exact same recording method.
Photo of Timbre4

Timbre4, Champion

  • 649 Posts
  • 252 Reply Likes
Okay I use an H2 myself. Those MP3 files are above suspicion. If they came from iPhone etc that's typically where problems creep in.


Is your MP3 file still in one piece or sliced with cuts, extended, or other changes? If so, I'd suggest getting the project all tightened up, remove the audio file, saved again and then reintroduce it. Save and render.


Depending on project complexity, you might be better off creating a simpler test project to figure this out faster.
(Edited)
Photo of John Pendleton

John Pendleton

  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I have four videos to finish on deadline, and the first one, the one I've been discovering problems with, is now finished. Maybe it wasn't the best idea to use a brand-new software upgrade to bang out a new video series, but I'm innit to winnit now. :) I've crafted a couple of fade-in fixes to prevent certain spots from "burping" on me when I render again, but I've got to push ahead. I'm planning to call TechSmith Monday and try to figure out the rough edges I've encountered in version 9 so far, but I can tell the 64-bit build is running smoother than 8.6.
And thanks again for your help.
Photo of John Pendleton

John Pendleton

  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
The newest glitch is the Audio graph in the track isn't lining up with the actual audio. I've seen this in rights-protected files, like purchased MP3s, but never in my own self-generated clips. There are obviously a few bugs to work out of 9 still.
Photo of Timbre4

Timbre4, Champion

  • 649 Posts
  • 252 Reply Likes
Thanks, you validated my decision to do deadline projects with 8.6 a little longer. I've done a few small clips using 9.0 but not far enough to see these issues. Be sure to fill out a help ticket so it gets on support radar.
Photo of m.coombe.boxall

m.coombe.boxall

  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I've just been checking out this same issue as it's becoming more of a nuisance in my projects.

Changing to Constant Bit Rate definitely helped the mp3 files and I don't seem to be getting the same issue. But I still got the odd glitch. Converting them to WAV files has solved this.

It's even a recommended workaround from Techsmith: https://support.techsmith.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000934412-Camtasia-Windows-Audio-glitches-or-does...

I use Adobe Audition to convert, but you can also use freeware such as Audacity.

Thanks for guidance!
(Edited)