In regards to the latest development with QuickTime, we recommend people uninstall their QuickTime software to avoid the security vulnerabilities with that software.
Camtasia Studio will continue to operate and run as normal without the QuickTime software. However, this will have an impact on those who are producing videos to the MOV video file format. In this case, we recommend you produce to MP4 instead.
Or, this can impact some MOV videos being imported into Camtasia. In this case, please try to change the file extension on the MOV video file from .mov to .mp4 and they might work just fine.
Newer hardware systems that output MOV files usually do not need the Quicktime software or the file extension changed in order for other software programs (like Camtasia) to use the MOV files. However, the older ones do need Quicktime. In this case, we recommend you run the videos through a file convertor, like Handbrake, to convert them to MP4. The support article linked to below shows you how to do this.
In our next major release, Camtasia 9, we will no longer output to the MOV video file format. However, the importing of MOV files will continue to be supported but may require the extra support listed at the beginning of this post (conversion or file extension changed).
We have a support article here with information on Camtasia Studio and Windows QuickTime software.
In the meantime, my son sent a video from his iPhone which happens to be a .MOV file. I do not have ffpshow or QuickTime installed so it would not play.
I renamed the file by changing the suffix from .MOV to .MP4. The video played including sound. Not all mov files will work that way but it is worth a try.
Source - .sfx (change suffix to ???)
Android - .3gp (.mov) changing to MP4 probably won't work.
Apple - .mov (.mp4)
PS. I have requested a "Mute / Ignore" option. All those in favor head over to https://feedback.techsmith.com/techsmith/topics/provide-the-ability-to-mute-individuals and follow the links.
One really random work around I've found is to export the video file from my iPhone to my Google Drive. I then download from Google Drive to my PC and import that to Camtasia, and that's working, even without renaming the file.
Have no idea why that would work, but it has worked for me several times now, where downloading by another route hasn't worked at all. Thought I'd mention it here just in case it helps someone!
This does work as I have tested it.