Can't render video in Portuguese

  • 2
  • Problem
  • Updated 8 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Inactive threads; archiving to prevent necroposing

I am trying to render a video in Portuguese with captions. I have already done the same thing with French, German, Japanese, Spanish and Russian but the Portuguese won't work.
It is about 45 minutes long and it takes 1.5 hours to render and then I get an error that says "this file is being used and cannot be overwritten" for each of the 58 clips. I know that no one else is using the files and I know I don't have them open.
I have checked the captions file and it looks the same as the others. I also tried using the English version and re-imported the Portuguese captions, but that didn't work either.
Then it displays another error that says: Error while creating SMIL file: "an unnamed file was not found". Then it says "error while creating HTML file".
Any ideas?
Photo of Pam Colquhoun

Pam Colquhoun

  • 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • confused

Posted 8 years ago

  • 2
Photo of A.J. Orians

A.J. Orians, Employee

  • 9 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
The string you are referring to:
"This file is being used and cannot be overwritten:

To continue production, close the application that is using this file and..."
is only referenced in one spot when Camtasia Studio moves the file it was rendering from the temporary directory to the location you specified. It should have a 'retry' button on it but from the sounds of your post that probably wasn't of any use!

Though I'm sure the following is fine; but I'd make sure under Tools > Options that the 'Temporary storage folder' is fine. And by that if you copy what it has there into Windows Explorer it should go someplace (I'm sure it will but just thought I'd try).

The latest version of Camtasia Studio released is version 7.1.1; and although I don't see anything jump out in the version history ( I'd suggest the latest version. I tried a simple project that consisted of simply a title clip with sample Portuguese text as well as a caption with sample Portuguese text and I was able to render my test project. I did have the production name and production directory consist of English characters.

The creation of a SMIL captioning file/SMIL playlist file can happen in the following production formats: RealMedia, Camtasia For RealPlayer, QuickTime movie, and M4V (iPod output). And so I'd suggest trying the AVI output option though it might be a huge file as your timeline is 45 minutes long. Or MP4 output. Then export your captions and import them with the AVI/MP4 on your timeline and try producing that. Though I'd also try just a simple 'produce selection as' on your project just to see if you can reproduce the problem with a much shorter and simpler timeline.

Those are my ideas and I hope it helps you out! Unfortunately several of the ideas are rather time consuming.
Photo of Billy Moss

Billy Moss

  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I got told that the 'This file is being used and cannot be overwritten' error was to do with a long file path. Try rendering the project to the desktop or something then copy it where you need it after. This error is a royal pain I know.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.