Want "Fit to Screen" auto-applied to every large image

  • 1
  • Idea
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Under Consideration
  • (Edited)
Anytime I open or capture an image it is automatically scaled to 100% in the canvas area.

On my 1920 x 1080 monitor the effective canvas area available is only 1632 x 876 pixels due to the editor interface and it's menus. See Image.

This scales any image larger than the effective canvas area outside of the canvas.Then you must select "Fit To Screen" manually to see the entire image.You need to hit fit to screen for every image that doesn't fit.

Regards, Joe  

Photo of Joe Morgan

Joe Morgan

  • 6773 Posts
  • 3730 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

  • 1
Photo of Daniel Foster

Daniel Foster, Snagit strategy lead

  • 912 Posts
  • 209 Reply Likes
Thanks for the feedback on this! Auto-fitting large images was something that people either loved or hated in our beta testing. It might be that the right choice is to pick a default but make it an option. It would be great to hear what others think and how important it is to folks. Also, if you resize your Snagit window when "Fit to Screen" is enabled, would you expect the zoom level of your image to change?
Photo of ozmango


  • 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yes, I would love the 'fit to screen' as well.  it should fit to whichever size screen you were viewing at the time (in my opinion).  Usually you do this so that you can see what it will look like at different sizes.
Photo of Joe Morgan

Joe Morgan

  • 6773 Posts
  • 3730 Reply Likes
Hello there Daniel Foster,

I would settle for the way Shrink To Fit  behaves in SnagIt 12.

This is a feature that was removed and I don't understand why.

WHO edits 80% of an Image first. Then, moves the image over to the left and down to edit the remaining 20% next ??? Not me, I can tell you that.
That or you need to assume the rest of the image looks fine and you save your work without checking it.

 I capture the majority of my images at full screen on 1920 x 1080 monitors. Now I need to re-scale every image I capture just to see it in it's entirety.

Photoshop and every image editor I've ever used scales images to fit by default. It's OK to be unique but  Shrink To Fit seems to be the accepted Industry Standard. SnagIt is on the outside looking in on this one.

In SnagIt 12 any image 1920 x 1080 is scaled to fit inside the Canvas area when Shrink To Fit is enabled.
 Images smaller than the available canvas area will open at 100% scale.

Images larger than 1920 x 1080... 6000 x 4000 as an example, will open so that the smallest dimension fits and the remaining dimension is scaled outside of the canvas area. The smallest dimension chosen is the one that requires the least amount of image down-scaling.   That behavior can be irritating as well. However if it's a long scrolling capture that form of scaling is appropriate.  

Try opening 10 images that are 1920 by 1080 in SnagIt 13 and change the scale one by one so you can see the entire image in the canvas.

Then, rinse and repeat, open the same 10 images in SnagIt 12 with the canvas set to "Shrink to Fit".
The reason Shrink To Fit should have never been removed, should be more than Crystal Clear after that.

Regards, Joe
Photo of Paul


  • 14 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
I too need to be able to set the default to "Fit to Screen". This is the setting I use every time and its a 2 steps away every time I open an image. There is a tick box for "Always Shrink to Fit", let's have one for "Fit to Screen". I remember I didn't have this hassle in SnagIt 12 too.