Or in other words, can extend frame push the audio further down the timeline as well as the video?
I tried to also select my audio track segments so I could move them all down the timeline together so as to not lose their relative spacing, but it appears I cannot do that either.
It’s a bit like synchronising layers in Adobe Illustrator.
I am using Camtasia 8 and this feature makes editing my projects a total nightmare. When I extend a frame (so that I can add extra narration) the items on the same track are moved, while the other tracks are not changed. As a result, all later narration, callouts, effects etc on other tracks are out of sync, and it takes hours to move them in sync again. I tried to insert time before extending a frame, but this does not work either. Please provide a fix where I can extend frames without adding so much extra work.....
How’s it going Peat,
Adobe’s Premier Elements handles extending a frame very well. The process is called freeze-frame. When you apply the effect you choose how many seconds that you want to extend the frame and it will ripple insert that frame. Not only does it split any media on the timeline that intersects that frame it even splits applied animations to keep everything in sync. If you are recording narration to the extended frame. You can even ripple delete or extend that extended frame to fit the audios duration with ease.
I don’t use the extend frame feature that often. But I’ve always been a little bit surprised how difficult it is to do in Camtasia. I’ve created a screenshot of Premier elements at work to demonstrate how well it performs. I’m hoping TechSmith will take notice and improve the feature as well.
See Image below, Click to Enlarge
That being said, it’s my personal opinion that Camtasia's screen recorder is 2nd to none. I don’t think you will find a screen recorder that you will be more pleased with in the long run. You could record directly to AVI and edit that in Premier Elements if you wanted to. So even if you went with Premier Elements you’re still in need of a quality screen recorder.
You can usually pick up Premier Elements 14 and Photoshop Elements 14 as a combination for less than $100 in the United States when it’s on sale. A quality photo editor can be a great asset for producing videos. The fact of the matter is it seems to be on sale more often than it is not. One week you can get it for that price the next week you cannot, etc. and so forth.
This "Extend frame" topic is a major source of CONFUSION in the Camtasia apps, including C9!
- The earlier C8 Mac version could make different things than Windows version,
- The http://www.screencast.com/ is all over the with extend frame videos - all of these are actually just workarounds but NOT a real and simple solution!
- There are features that were disabled and even revoked in Extend Frame so this is a huge mess now even in C9 and does work very emabarrassing!
Please Techsmith, GET this:
the major source of confusion comes from the fact that Extend frame works on only a SINGLE track, not on ALL track! To be more precise: as extend frame currently just affects only the selected single track, everything (other audio and video clips) after the extension goes out of sync in case of multiple tracks!
If I insert e.g. 5 sec at the middle of the movie with extend frame, it will extend the frame for the video, it is ok, but all other tracks are unaffected, they stay at the same position! They should have been moved 5 sec later, but now everything goes out of sync!
Sure, many of use knows the workarounds:
1. by moving everything back and forth with Shift and copy/pasting split clip / unstitching elements and extend these, but this is very tedious and makes extend frame unusable and the source of possible errors.
2. Saving a frame and re-inserting.... meeehhh.... the last thing people want during work is to accomplish additional and unnecessary file management steps!
Please make a real easy and final, cross-platform solution in C9 to this confused topic of Camtasia finally!
Let the user decide if
1. she/he want extend frame affect only ONE track
2. or ALL track.
3. Also, please make it easily draggable the borders after extension (maybe with a modifier), without the need of additional push-pull tricks!