According to the version history, no new features or improvements have been added since 2013, apart from adding Windows 10 support in October 2015 – almost a year ago.
Is this a product that is slowly dying?
Is there a roadmap for Morae's future?
To be honest, I think it's less about it being a dead product and more about it being a largely uncontested product. There are other products on the market that let you do PARTS of what Morae does, but few that do all of them. You can find picture-in-picture programs that will capture the screen and a camera, but you don't have the ability to do remote monitoring, set up tasks, surveys, consolidate it all, etc. Without competition, I suspect there just isn't a lot of pressure inside the company to create updates.
Of course, I'd love to hear from a TechSmith person (who I'm sure your original question was actually aimed at). Maybe they'll have more insight.
Best of luck,
We very much appreciate you being a Morae customer! While no software is perfect, we've found as we researched our Morae user base, we've found that Morae’s current features are serving this larger base very well. As such we currently have no plans to invest in development on Morae nor a derivative product for specific use cases. If we find our customer’s needs adjusting, we’ll revisit this product in order reevaluate this approach.
I am definitely hoping that you will revisit this product! There are several enhancements that I want
- Control over the font size and family for instructions in the little instruction window
- More options for creating and formatting surveys (why should the surveys be ugly and cumbersome - it gets the users thinking negatively and affects the whole test session)
- Improve your manuals - provide workflows so new users (like me) can get a better understanding of how the 3 components work together. Listing/describing features in alphabetical order is NOT helpful!
- Connection issues at the end of sessions - If the remote Observer is unable to connect, we can save the session notes locally, but there's no way to ingest them into the larger project once the session is complete. So if I have an observer who added markers with notes, I have to either read them as a text file or try and manually enter them into the larger project (so I can see them alongside the other markers). There's no way to simply import them. This creates issues for sessions that are an hour long and have many markers.
- Replay - There are always instances where an observer cannot participate on the day of the usability study. That person can watch a video of the entire session later, but there's no way for the user to replay the session and add his or her own markers / notes. It would be ideal to be able to "connect" an Observer session to Morae Manager and let the user enter markers and notes that get added to the overall session. This would be a huge time saver for us and also expand our ability to conduct larger usability studies.
Thank you for your consideration,