MP3 with variable bitrate files are not positioned correctly

  • 1
  • Problem
  • Updated 7 years ago
  • Acknowledged
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Inactive threads; archiving to prevent necroposing

I have a couple of variable bitrate MP3 files which I want to use for backing soundtracks.

Trying to align the first beat of one of those songs with a cut in a scene I noticed that it's not possible to position the MP3 file correctly. No matter where I cut and move the MP3 file, I'm never able to move the song right to where I want it to be.

Please test and revise the audio part of Camtasia Studio.
Photo of Axel

Axel

  • 123 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
  • frustrated

Posted 7 years ago

  • 1
Photo of Logan S.

Logan S.

  • 2813 Posts
  • 153 Reply Likes
Hey Axel,

Any chance you could upload a video of what your dealing with? I'd like to see exactly what the issue is, so we can find a solution for ya. Thanks!
Photo of Axel

Axel

  • 123 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
Hi Logan,

sure, here's the video.

Cheers,
Axel
Photo of Logan S.

Logan S.

  • 2813 Posts
  • 153 Reply Likes
Hey Axel,

Thank you very much for the video. Really makes clear what you are asking!
Is there any way you can send me over the two mp3's you are using, so that I can try to recreate this same issue?
You can upload the file through this service: http://tinyurl.com/support-upload

Please select "Logan S" as the recipient so that the file will be sent directly to me. Include "Get Satisfaction" in the message area.

Last, be sure to message me back here to let me know that the file has been uploaded.

Thanks!
Photo of Axel

Axel

  • 123 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
Hi Logan,

I just uploaded the file.

Regards,
Axel
Photo of Dave O'Rourke

Dave O'Rourke, Senior Software Engineer

  • 1444 Posts
  • 416 Reply Likes
Axel,

Thanks so much for the detailed bug report. I wish all bug reports were as clear as yours. We'll get the files you sent to Logan and open up a ticket for this issue.

Under the hood, we're using DirectShow which does have problems with variable bitrate MP3 files, as you discovered. It's definitely a bug, and something we hope to address in a future release.

Until we can address this, the workaround (as you probably guessed) is to convert any variable bitrate MP3 files to constant bitrate before importing those files into your project.
Photo of Axel

Axel

  • 123 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
Thanks very much, Dave. I've been enjoying creating that little bug report.

I'd like to thank you all for your excellent (and unrivalled so far) support efforts here in the forum.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.