Rotate image: Custom - would like to be able to rotate an image Counter Clockwise.

  • 3
  • Idea
  • Updated 3 months ago
We can CUSTOM rotate clockwise by minute degrees.  
It would be great to be able to do the same "counter clockwise' by using a negative (- #).
Sometimes a photo is skewed just a tiny bit and if I could have an option to rotate both clockwise and counter clockwise, I could straighten the photo.  
Photo of Micki

Micki

  • 9 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes

Posted 3 months ago

  • 3
Photo of JL1

JL1

  • 247 Posts
  • 109 Reply Likes
Isn't rotating it by 359 degrees equivalent to rotating it -1 degree?
Photo of davidlambert

davidlambert

  • 106 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
I have done this and it does not always provide the result I wanted.
Photo of Paul

Paul

  • 1510 Posts
  • 1123 Reply Likes
Yes it is, but it is counterintuitive.  I tend to think of rotation in terms of clockwise (+) and counter-clockwise (-).

I also wish we could enter fractional degrees, because 1 degree of correction does not always give you the rotational adjustment that you need.  
Photo of davidlambert

davidlambert

  • 106 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
I agree with you on this Paul.
Photo of Micki

Micki

  • 9 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
MeToo!
Photo of davidlambert

davidlambert

  • 106 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
My reason for agreeing is that I have opened scanned images in SnagIt for editing and they are not always straight. So, having the incrementally smaller adjustments is an asset.
Photo of Joe Morgan

Joe Morgan

  • 6383 Posts
  • 3479 Reply Likes
What SnagIt needs even more? What Paul said.

The ability to rotate incrementally by Tenths or Hundredths of a Degree. Is much needed.
Because even degrees of rotation. Rarely level an image.
You might get an image in the ballpark by rotating it. But the odds of getting at level are against you.


This "Perfectly Square" image has been rotated 1 degree.
Yet it is skewed horribly as a result. It demonstrates the extreme effect of one degree of rotation.
And just how much room for error there is between 1 degree and 0.

 
Regards, Joe
(Edited)
Photo of Ed Covney

Ed Covney

  • 193 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
Joe - Just un-rotate it. (I used publisher)
(Edited)
Photo of Micki

Micki

  • 9 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Hi Ed, I know that I can take the image into another program to straighten it, but why should I have to.  Snagit is such a versatile program, I am sure they can give us what we need without having to jump to a different program to fix it...
Photo of Joe Morgan

Joe Morgan

  • 6383 Posts
  • 3479 Reply Likes
You missed my point Ed.

I created that image a couple of years ago. To demonstrate just how much an image rotates when you rotate it 1 degree.

If you look in the center of the image. You will see the SnagIt rotational window set to one degree of rotation. I wasn't trying to straighten the image at all. It was crooked on purpose.
I was trying to point out how far 1 degree of rotation offset a straight line.

In Photoshop you can rotate an image in increments as fine as". 000001"
which seems a bit ridiculous to me. But you can actually do it if you wanted to. And that includes Photoshop Elements. Which is the inexpensive version of Photoshop.



I'm not suggesting SnagIt needs that fine of control. But whomever thought that one degree of control was enough. Didn't put the tool through its paces.

I overlooked the fact that Paul mentioned it in the thread above. When I realized he mentioned it because someone else agreed with him, and left a comment while I was leaving mine. I edited my post to reflect that I agreed with him.
But I hadn't used that image in so long. Or address this issue in such a long time. I left my response in place.
Photo of Micki

Micki

  • 9 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Thank you Joe.  I totally agree but sometimes just a small adjustment is need to almost straighten an image.  Your perfectly square image is a good example.  It is exactly what I am working with... I just need the upper right corner to go minutely counter clockwise  It doesn't have to be perfect, but would be nice if I can get it close.  
Photo of Ed Covney

Ed Covney

  • 193 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
"Hi Ed, I know that I can take the image into another program to straighten it, but why should I have to."  
Micki - you shouldn't HAVE to, I agree. But until Snagit gets changed, you WON'T be able to. That's real. Either accept an available alternative or don't bother. Those are your choices.
Photo of Rick Stone

Rick Stone

  • 5064 Posts
  • 2339 Reply Likes
Just hazarding a guess on this, but I'd be willing to bet that the reason we don't see finer controls for rotation is because one would almost never need to rotate something captured from the screen in that fine an increment.

That's not in any way to suggest it isn't needed or wouldn't be helpful, but it likely explains the lack of more granular control. 

On a side note, it interesting that Microsoft PowerPoint behaves exactly the same as SnagIt in only offering one degree increments.

Cheers... Rick :)


Photo of Ed Covney

Ed Covney

  • 193 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
Rick - As any programmer knows, angles are given in "Radians" (Pi/6). So you say 
"Rotate 1° but the compiler says "Rotate  0.0174532925199433 radians". Point for point, any programmer could rotate an image to 1 in 10^18 radians AND its faster than only allowing rotations in degree increments.
All angles are "real numbers", single precision means about 10^-9, dbl about 10^-18. So BY DEFAULT, all programs can deliver angular precision to about 3 millionths of a degree(single precision or 3 quintillionths of a degree . Anything less would require time consuming & stupid limiting conversions. When math was software bound (~ <1988), that's what many called for. Today allowing rotation in increments of 1 degree, is Dumb^6th power. It's not a matter of Tech Smith allowing new precision, its a matter of not limiting default precisions. This is one area, where a savvy TS programmer can comment out a line or two of programming and ALLOWING full single or double precision angles. But it may take the entire team to determine exactly where adjustments need be applied and what they can affect. So in the mean time, while TS programmers point fingers at each other for not knowing better, we have alternatives that work. Under DOS, not, but Windows makes solutions smooth.
Photo of Rick Stone

Rick Stone

  • 5064 Posts
  • 2339 Reply Likes
LOL, so are Radians anything like Thetans? (Just kidding)

I think I need some meds so I can be both dazed and confused!
Photo of Ed Covney

Ed Covney

  • 193 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
Micki, Joe -
Of course it would be nice to have a smooth rotation in Snagit. But it's not a game changer. Open Office (free) can do what you ask, as can all  MS Office programs. Unless you live in an application vacuum, you can do minute rotations elsewhere. In fact IT IS CALLED "Windows" (plural) because you can use more than one program at a time. Capture, Copy X, Paste to X, Rotate X, Copy X, Paste X back to whence it came.
(Edited)
Photo of Paul

Paul

  • 1509 Posts
  • 1123 Reply Likes
You can always switch to other programs for effects that SnagIt it doesn't offer, but that's not really the point, which is that SnagIt offers a function that doesn't work as it needs to and, according to your amazing explanation, is easily remedied
Photo of Ed Covney

Ed Covney

  • 193 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
Paul - my point was that until Snagit can do it, you don't have to go without. 
Sure, the way I explained it should be easy . . but if it were easy, they'd send me the source files, and I'd fix it for them. Wonder why they haven't sent me the files yet?
Photo of Paul

Paul

  • 1509 Posts
  • 1123 Reply Likes
Gotcha
Photo of Ed Covney

Ed Covney

  • 193 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
Actually, I wish TS would send me "their" code. I use Windows APIs too, so I already have "their" code, I just don't know what pieces they use nor how.
Photo of Rick Stone

Rick Stone

  • 5064 Posts
  • 2339 Reply Likes
Hi Micki

Until such time that SnagIt is to offer a rotation that works for what you need, here is one of those gawd awful workarounds that are possible if you have Microsoft PowerPoint available. 

The link below will show you how to use some programming magick with PowerPoint to nudge it in finer increments.

Click here to view

Cheers... Rick :)
Photo of Dubie

Dubie

  • 1222 Posts
  • 977 Reply Likes
Rick,

I wouldn't call the info from the link you posted a workaround.

It's code for a PowerPoint macro and once you create it it's just a couple of clicks to use it.

from the post link

This would be simple code to rotate right by 0.1 deg.

Sub littleRot()
Dim oshp As Shape
On Error Resume Next
Set oshp = ActiveWindow.Selection.ShapeRange(1)
oshp.Rotation = oshp.Rotation + 0.1
End Sub

You can change the values to create a negative rotation also ie; - 0.1

What one needs to figure out is how fine of a rotation they want the macro to perform
or make different rotation macros.

For instance in the code above you would have to use the macro 10 times to get a 1 deg. rotation so a macro created for say 0.5 might be a better choice.

It's all a preference thing and/or having multiple rotation macros but once created they are there to use whenever needed.

Dubie

TechSmith Resources         
Support      Tutorials     Version Downloads ________________________________________________________________________________________

Photo of davidlambert

davidlambert

  • 106 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
Help me out here. I've opened PowerPoint and created two macros, one for right (CW) and one for left (CCW.) Now, how do I save them so they are available at any time? Do I have to create a template and, say, paste a skewed image into a new presentation based on my template and rotate it to correct the skew. How do I save the corrected image?
(Edited)
Photo of Rick Stone

Rick Stone

  • 5064 Posts
  • 2339 Reply Likes
Hi David

Unfortunately, I'm unaware of a way to make it permanent and available for any and all PowerPoint documents.

Cheers... Rick :)
Photo of Mal Reynolds

Mal Reynolds

  • 446 Posts
  • 296 Reply Likes
@davidlambert In theory, you do this by adding them to a PowerPoint presentation which is saved as an add-in (that is, in .ppam format). That would be saved into C:\Users\{UserName}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\AddIns.

The problem is... in Office 365 it looks like Microsoft, in their usual cack-handed and inept fashion, have broken this functionality with the code in the add-ins failing to run with an error message of "This macro cannot be found or has been disabled because of your security settings" even if the security level for macros has been set to "Take me, I'm yours".

As a workaround until or unless this gets fixed you could:
- Put the macros into a standard .pptm file;
- Add the macros to your Quick Access Toolbar;
- Keep a shortcut to the macro file so that you can load it whenever you need to.

You may of course need to adjust your macro settings accordingly.

Microsoft seems to be trying to push people toward creating add-ins in Visual Studio, but that may be a bit extreme for your common or garden power user who is not an actual programmer.



Photo of Joe Morgan

Joe Morgan

  • 6383 Posts
  • 3479 Reply Likes
The Panama Canal was both an engineering marvel and arguably, a workaround that anyone could
embrace.
It's saved immense amounts of shipping times for everyone. And was probably the ultimate workaround.
However, workarounds that increase workload are different story.
Just because they exist, don't expect me to embrace them.
Photo of Rick Stone

Rick Stone

  • 5064 Posts
  • 2339 Reply Likes
LOL, you have made us all painfully aware of your disdain for any workarounds for anything. And the disdain appears to grow exponentially depending upon the source suggesting such.

Consequently, there is no way I (or likely anyone else that participates here on a regular basis) would ever in a million years hold any expectation that you would be embracing them. 

Note that I never claimed what I suggested was the ultimate workaround, nor that it was a desired way to do it. It was simply outlining something that was a possibility to get Micki out of a tight spot, if needed.
Photo of Paul

Paul

  • 1509 Posts
  • 1123 Reply Likes
If the Panama Canal became unavailable for any reason, Cape Horn would be the workaround. :)  Or Plan B - everyone needs a Plan B
Photo of Joe Morgan

Joe Morgan

  • 6383 Posts
  • 3479 Reply Likes
I believe it's your disdain for me that is shining brightly here.

I will continue to express my opinions whether you like them or not.
Photo of Joe Morgan

Joe Morgan

  • 6383 Posts
  • 3479 Reply Likes
And giving some time to process your response Rick, your response was no more than a personal and shallow attack by you, levied against me.
Photo of Paul

Paul

  • 1509 Posts
  • 1123 Reply Likes
Do we have to have this infighting?  Can't we, please, just let it go?  Let's express our opinions in a non-confrontational way, and read them as such?  Bickering gets us nowhere.
Photo of Joe Morgan

Joe Morgan

  • 6383 Posts
  • 3479 Reply Likes
Sorry Paul,
but just rolling over and accepting Rick Stone's condescending comments. Is not a natural fit for me.
He's done this to me dozens to hundreds of times over the years. When he doesn't appreciate what I say, or disagrees with me. This is an abusive pattern that never seems to change.
Photo of Ed Covney

Ed Covney

  • 193 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
Joe - I don't know what your beef is with "work-arounds", I prefer to call them "work-togethers" - two or more application getting a job done. Can Snagit scan a document for me then spell check it using my MS Word Math dictionary? I don't think so. So I open two apps and get one job done. And no matter what you call it it's USEFUL !!
Photo of Mal Reynolds

Mal Reynolds

  • 446 Posts
  • 296 Reply Likes
I can't speak for Joe but my beef with them is this. {Points to a clock} See that thing there? See how it moves forward, inexorably? You have a certain amount of time during which that will happen. And that's all the time you get.

On a smaller scale, if you are using software as something more than a hobby, you will most likely have deadlines. You will have a limited amount of time to achieve an outcome.

Every workaround, worktogether, call it whatever you like, that you have to do because of woeful shortcomings in a piece of software's design, costs you some of that time. It is time that you do not get back. It is time that you do not get to use for something else. Ever.

All because somebody cut some corners when writing the code that you pay them for.

The example that you gave isn't a good one because it goes outside of Snagit's core function. But rotation is pretty basic stuff.

So yeah, for things like this, I don't call them worktogethers, I call them timewasters. It's only a minute or two (or more likely 3, or 4)? Sure. But multiplied by how many times? And if you place any value at all on time, and realise its limited nature... well, while I won't speak for Joe, I can make a pretty fair guess what his beef is because it's probably pretty much the same as mine.
Photo of Paul

Paul

  • 1509 Posts
  • 1123 Reply Likes
That pretty much sums up my feelings towards the whole of the new UI/UX.  It impedes productivity.  There are so many places where usability has been compromised.  To your point, it's only a mouse click here, two mouse clicks there, and the thinking time to do the counter-intuitive.  It's only seconds for each operation, but multiply that by the number of times you do that per day, times the number of SnagIt users, times our cost, and you can see how much has been offloaded to the user base.  Not cool.
Photo of Rick Stone

Rick Stone

  • 5064 Posts
  • 2339 Reply Likes
I think we all know that workarounds or work togethers (I like that term) take longer than things would if what was needed was already built into the software.

What mystifies me is that some would seem all too happy to just sit back and hiss because a piece of software doesn't do what they want. They seem to view workarounds or work togethers as something evil. As if the person simply offering a way to accomplish or overcome the shortcoming is fully endorsing or advocating for no change ever needed in the software. As if to say, things are just dandy and we don't need any change.

And when you look at things more objectively, even though it takes longer to achieve something using a workaround or work together, you do, in fact, usually end up accomplishing the goal, no?

And what is the alternative? Wasting time snarling and stamping feet because something isn't there and doesn't work as hoped for and likely won't for an unknown period of time? 

So I guess in my own view I'd rather waste my time productively accomplishing what I hoped to accomplish, than I would unproductively just grousing about it.

This isn't to say it's a waste of time to report things to TechSmith and make them aware that a change is needed. By all means we need to do that. Otherwise, how will they even be aware a change is needed? My own philosophy just happens to plop me in a camp of folks that likes to think that the TechSmith folks are far more apt to listen to folks that take a kinder tone then they will listen to folks that constantly rail on things. 

Just my own view from my tiny rowboat on the vast ocean of things.
Photo of Paul

Paul

  • 1509 Posts
  • 1123 Reply Likes
Your rowboat metaphor is great.  Let me extend it a bit

  • If a work-together has to be used infrequently that represents a balmy sea. No worries.  
  • If you are doing it many times a day, the sea is stormy and the boat gets swamped.  Now I'm worried  
  • But if the sea is calm but the rowboat supplier omitted that little plug in the bottom, then a calm sea produces the same result as a storm. Now I'm cross.
The rotation function is the last of these.  It would have been so easy to fit that plug. :)
(Edited)
Photo of Ed Covney

Ed Covney

  • 193 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
So, Mal, you complain about what Snagit can't do for you, then what, you do nothing? 
(Edited)
Photo of Paul

Paul

  • 1509 Posts
  • 1123 Reply Likes
Nope.  I do what I have to get the result while asking TechSmith to fix it.
Photo of Ed Covney

Ed Covney

  • 193 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
Sorry Paul, my comment was to Mal.  (Now corrected)
But your  ". . I do what I have to get the result while asking TechSmith to fix it."  Sums up the way this thread should end (very nicely). 

For me, I always have 4 or 6 applications opened when I'm programming Delphi or VBA, so I'm very familiar with moving data among 2 or more.
Photo of Joe Morgan

Joe Morgan

  • 6383 Posts
  • 3479 Reply Likes

Well Ed, you asked me what’s my beef with workarounds?

 Well, There are good workarounds and there are bad workarounds.
And when the simplest function within a program needs a workaround. That’s a bad workaround from the get go.

Case in point. Camtasia doesn’t have an audio meter. People have been requesting one for years. It’s virtually impossible to properly match audio levels from different sources without one. Why can’t we have the simplest of features. Such as an audio level meter?

I think it’s because everybody’s rolled over and played dead. There’s not enough people complaining about this. They’ve become complacent and allowed TechSmith to get away with murder when it comes to audio.

 Everyone has accepted the fact that the audio tools in Camtasia aren’t worth writing home about.

That they can all depend on the free audio tool Audacity for their audio needs.

If you research audio problems in the Camtasia forum. You will find endless threads where the recommended cure is to use Audacity to solve all their problems.

This advice comes from forum Champions. Heck, for many years this was also recommended by members of TechSmith/The TechSmith team. However, they seem to have abandoned the practice. I believe this occurred when the CEO Wendy came on board? It always bothered me to read TechSmith recommending audacity to solve their audio problems. Instead of improving their tools and addressing the complaints. That’s why I noticed when it ended.

The audio tools for Camtasia have remained stagnant. They haven’t improved notably in years.

So there’s that.

Then there’s the time factor. Anytime you have to go outside of the program for functionality you’re wasting your time. That’s fine if you have absolutely nothing better to do with your time or yourself. But if you’re paying an employee or yourself. IT’S A BIG DEAL.

Sure, workarounds are better than nothing. If nothing is the alternative.

Believe it or not, I send most of my captures to Photoshop. Because Photoshop is more productive than SnagIt for most my work.

There are no workarounds in Photoshop. Because Photoshop is the whole package. The learning curve is steep. But once you’ve climbed the hill, you’re there.

My SnagIt capture hotkey for Photoshop is page up. It goes straight to Photoshop.

So yeah, when it comes to editing photos or images I don’t like workarounds.

I use Camtasia as well. Along with Premier Pro. I use Camtasia for projects that don’t matter to me but I like the screen recorder.

Premier Pro doesn’t require workarounds because it’s the whole package. And I got a bunch of fantastic plug-ins.

Understand?

Regards, Joe

Photo of Mal Reynolds

Mal Reynolds

  • 446 Posts
  • 296 Reply Likes
> So, Mal, you complain about what Snagit can't do for you, then what, you do nothing?

Sorry Ed... no, actually I'm not sorry Ed, where exactly do you get off with a statement like that?

Who said that I "do nothing"? Have I ever said that, Ed? Point me to where I said that, Ed.

I vote for changes, notwithstanding that the effect is rarely anything. I do exactly what Paul does.  I lobby for changes, vote for changes, and do what I need to to get the job done in the meantime.

As for Stone's usual contribution:

> They seem to view workarounds or work togethers as something evil.

No, what I see as "evil" (for certain values of that) is people who want to ingratiate themselves with a software company by telling the company what they want to hear. "Oh yup, don't worry, that change is completely unnecessary, there's a WORKAROUND".

As for this:
> I'd rather waste my time productively accomplishing what I hoped to accomplish

If you're wasting time, it's not productive. Period.

> My own philosophy just happens to plop me in a camp of folks that likes to think that the TechSmith folks are far more apt to listen to folks that take a kinder tone then they will listen to folks that constantly rail on things.

Yeah, because that has worked SO well for things like getting variable speed playback in the editor, getting audio to a usable state, getting the user interface fixed, or any of the other things that have threads going back half a decade or more.


Photo of Mal Reynolds

Mal Reynolds

  • 446 Posts
  • 296 Reply Likes
> So, Mal, you complain about what Snagit can't do for you, then what, you do nothing?

Sorry Ed... no, actually I'm not sorry Ed, where exactly do you get off with a statement like that?

Who said that I "do nothing"? Have I ever said that, Ed? Point me to where I said that, Ed.

I vote for changes, notwithstanding that the effect is rarely anything. I do exactly what Paul does.  I lobby for changes, vote for changes, and do what I need to to get the job done in the meantime.

As for Stone's usual contribution:

> They seem to view workarounds or work togethers as something evil.

No, what I see as "evil" (for certain values of that) is people who want to ingratiate themselves with a software company by telling the company what they want to hear. "Oh yup, don't worry, that change is completely unnecessary, there's a WORKAROUND".

As for this:
> I'd rather waste my time productively accomplishing what I hoped to accomplish

If you're wasting time, it's not productive. Period.

> My own philosophy just happens to plop me in a camp of folks that likes to think that the TechSmith folks are far more apt to listen to folks that take a kinder tone then they will listen to folks that constantly rail on things.

Yeah, because that has worked SO well for things like getting variable speed playback in the editor, getting audio to a usable state, getting the user interface fixed, or any of the other things that have threads going back half a decade or more.


Photo of Mal Reynolds

Mal Reynolds

  • 446 Posts
  • 296 Reply Likes
Joe, I agree with everything you've written except for this bit:

> I think it’s because everybody’s rolled over and played dead. There’s not enough people complaining about this. They’ve become complacent
I don't think they've become complacent. I think they've become exasperated and fed up. I think they've raised their hands in unison with their eyes, sucked in their breath, counted to 10 and walked away because they're sick of bashing their heads against a metaphorical wall because whether they ask "kindly" or not, they just aren't getting that feature.

I'd add variable speed editor playback and JKL style editing to the same list.

And I think that if a competitor comes along which offers a similar ease of use but vastly better workflows, Camtasia will sink without a trace leaving one or two people to talk to themselves on Get Satisfaction about how incomprehensible it is (to them) that people aren't prepared to give up their valuable time to implement workarounds, because they should be grateful that such workarounds exist.
Photo of Joe Morgan

Joe Morgan

  • 6383 Posts
  • 3479 Reply Likes
Or That
Photo of Joe Morgan

Joe Morgan

  • 6383 Posts
  • 3479 Reply Likes
As for Stone's usual contribution:


> They seem to view workarounds or work togethers as something evil.

 

Actually I missed that little personal attack Rick launched. He just can’t seem to play nice can he. That’s two days in a row.

Do remember a few years back when he started a post calling for forum etiquette. He was complaining about personal attacks. Stating there should be zero tolerance for personal attacks. And within that very thread he managed to attack both of us on multiple occasions?

I looked back on that post just now. They have removed almost all of those responses. Because there were a lot of them and they’re all missing.

I wasn’t snarling and stamping my feet were you? Were you hissing or grousing about?

Perhaps it was inferred?LOL

Enjoy your weekend Mal, I know I will


Photo of Ed Covney

Ed Covney

  • 193 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
If anyone wants an easy to use workaround, I've created an Excel spreadsheet that can rotate up to two pictures +/- any angle. The Spreadsheet is here: 
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-zzsaHjpkbx4zCyzbJenpgrUWtQU5H8M/view?usp=sharing
The How To Video here:
https://www.screencast.com/t/QNMawCwY
Photo of Ed Covney

Ed Covney

  • 193 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
David Lambert - Download my Excel sheet above and use it to rotate any "picture". Its three macros are shorter than many of my posts and easy to inspect. If you copy all three macros - they'll work in any VBA enabled program - although naming conventions are not always easy to over come. So to answer your last question:
1) Copy your image to my spreadsheet, follow instructions for renaming it.
2) Rotate it. I have coarse and Vernier controls so getting where you want should be easy.
3) Once rotated, copy and paste it back to where you want it. 
Photo of davidlambert

davidlambert

  • 106 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
Works very nicely. Thanks. I hope others can use it too.
Photo of Dubie

Dubie

  • 1222 Posts
  • 977 Reply Likes
@davidlambert

Sorry i didn't get back to your question about adding the macro to PowerPoint.
Been really busy.

Both the methods posted above will work but there is a way to add the macro as a addin.

Click on Image to enlarge




If you or anyone is interested in the way to add the macro to PowerPoint so it's always there to use let me know here and I'll make the file available and how to install and edit it.
It's really easy to do.

I'll also include in the file two macros to produce video @ 1080HD 60fps.wav & 2160HD 60fps.wav and also include a 1920x 1080 PowerPoint slide template that is good to use with the video macros.

PowerPoints default slide size is 1280x720 which kinda of defeats using the video macros.

I can post it latter this evening or in the morning. Have busy end of the week day today.

Dubie

TechSmith Resources         
Support      Tutorials     Version Downloads ________________________________________________________________________________________

(Edited)
Photo of davidlambert

davidlambert

  • 106 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
Doesn't look anything like what I've got.
Photo of Dubie

Dubie

  • 1222 Posts
  • 977 Reply Likes
It's the same but not.

I am just using a different theme (the dark theme) and have my layout different.
Also I have a few add-ins that add a new item to my ribbon and some add a new sidebar also.

In the image below the islide add-in adds a sidebar for quick use of some of the most common functions most people use.



To get the My Macros item added to the ribbon like I posted above  you need to do a quick setup with a file to create the add-in and then tell PowerPoint about it.

Dubie

TechSmith Resources         
Support      Tutorials     Version Downloads ________________________________________________________________________________________

Photo of Rick Stone

Rick Stone

  • 5064 Posts
  • 2339 Reply Likes
Hey Dubie - I'm a bit curious and confused. Earlier you posted and said you didn't consider this to be a workaround for the rotation. But now it seems you are endorsing it?
Photo of Dubie

Dubie

  • 1222 Posts
  • 977 Reply Likes
I'm simply commenting back to davidlambert about PowerPoint.

My last post is of no reference to rotation or workarounds.

I have no problem with workarounds but that said I also believe there are good ones and bad ones or maybe better said impractical ones.

You know I post some and personally I don't give a rats ass if someone likes it or not.
When you come to a road block you have to do something or you can stand there with your thumb up your butt.

It's a persons own choice whether a alternative, different method, workaround or what ever one chooses to call it is a good fit for them.

Dubie

TechSmith Resources         
Support      Tutorials     Version Downloads ________________________________________________________________________________________

Photo of Mal Reynolds

Mal Reynolds

  • 446 Posts
  • 296 Reply Likes
It's fortunate that nobody said that they didn't like it then. I do realise that my post could have been clearer; I was talking in the context of earlier discussions but read in isolation it could be taken the wrong way. For clarity, I have a problem with workarounds if either their existence is given as a reason for not fixing the underlying issue in a program (because too many software companies are ready to grab that as a Get Out Of Jail Free card), or the workaround is potentially destructive or corrupting.  I can think of instances of both over the years, but they're not germane to the issue at hand.

Which is, specifically... I'd be interested to know which version of PowerPoint you're using because as I posted earlier I'm seeing an issue in .ppam's in version 1812 build 11126.20196 of Office 365. The ppams appear in the Add-Ins list but do not appear in the Project Explorer or the Object Browser. Yet if I try to save another .ppam with the same name PowerPoint will error saying that the add-in already exists. There doesn't seem to be a problem with the other Office application add-ins and it doesn't affect the Camtasia one because that's a COM addin.

I haven't gone the nuclear option of reinstalling Office yet but (assuming that the add-in that you're planning to create is a ppam rather than a COM one) I'll be interested to know whether you're on the same version and hit the same issue.
Photo of Dubie

Dubie

  • 1222 Posts
  • 977 Reply Likes
Hey Mal Reynolds
I'm on the same version of a Office 365 pro plus corporate account.

I really haven't noticed any problems but I just noticed that it looks like I was updated just a few days ago. I don't decide when I actually get the updates.

I'll have to keep a eye as I use Powerpoint more since the update.

There is a video in the download link below that may shed some light on the ppam issues you are having and what I have had to do to edit the add-in I demonstrate.

I don't use many macros and to be totally honest my knowledge of VBA code is only enough to be dangerous :)

Dubie

TechSmith Resources         
Support      Tutorials     Version Downloads ________________________________________________________________________________________
 
Photo of davidlambert

davidlambert

  • 106 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
Could you help me out with creating that file and explain how to get it into Powerpoint?
Photo of Dubie

Dubie

  • 1222 Posts
  • 977 Reply Likes
I can do that.

I'll have to get it all put together.

Check back later  today.

Dubie

TechSmith Resources         
Support      Tutorials     Version Downloads ________________________________________________________________________________________

Photo of davidlambert

davidlambert

  • 106 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
Thank you.
Photo of Dubie

Dubie

  • 1222 Posts
  • 977 Reply Likes
Here ya go davidlambert

Apologies I didn't get it to you yesterday. I had out of town friends pop in and couldn't get things together till this morning.

Everything you need should be in the zip file.

https://mega.nz/#!13J2EQhD!Tr-pJieEv3NCv_CssOMst3xHoUV-OWysM-blAbNQpAk


Dubie

TechSmith Resources         
Support      Tutorials     Version Downloads ________________________________________________________________________________________

Photo of Dubie

Dubie

  • 1222 Posts
  • 977 Reply Likes
Forgot to include this above if you are concerned about downloading a file

Virus total for the download link
https://www.virustotal.com/#/url/71216ea7e98991af2c7f6226d581d2ba513e14cc585f8e8d0f6cf04bf112f755/de...


Dubie

TechSmith Resources         
Support      Tutorials     Version Downloads ________________________________________________________________________________________

(Edited)
Photo of davidlambert

davidlambert

  • 106 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
I noticed in your video, which is very clear BTW, you duplicate your shapes by clicking on, I assume, and dragging to a new location. If I right-click and drag, I only move the selected object/shape. If I left-click and drag, I get a copy of the object/shape but when I release the mouse button a pop-up asks if I want to move here, copy here or cancel. I'm curious how you did the duplication without any dialogue boxes or pop-ups.
Photo of Dubie

Dubie

  • 1222 Posts
  • 977 Reply Likes
If you CTRL + click and drag you will drag a copy.

If you what to make multiple copies of a object, click on the object so it is selected and then do a CTRL + D for however many copies you want.

Powerpoint will stagger stack them and then you just click and drag each one to where you want it.

Hope everything in the download helped with the add-ins project.

Dubie

TechSmith Resources         
Support      Tutorials     Version Downloads ________________________________________________________________________________________

Photo of davidlambert

davidlambert

  • 106 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
It did, thank you. I looked in 'Help' and did not find anything regarding the making of a copy or multiple copies of a shape/object. So, how do you know these little things.
Photo of Dubie

Dubie

  • 1222 Posts
  • 977 Reply Likes
Well its just things you pick up over time.

I've used Powerpoint for a long time and even more so now these days.
It's unreal what you can do in Powerpoint  today.

If you are just getting into Powerpoint the best thing I can recommend is watch the youtubes on Powerpoint.

This is one of my favorite channels especially if you want to learn Time Saving Shortcuts in Powerpoint.

Nuts & Bolts Speed Training
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuK8yR3Whjw


Also if you are trying to figure out how to do something, Google it.
how to click copy a shape in powerpoint  for example



Photo of davidlambert

davidlambert

  • 106 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
Thanks again.