Sizing Problem when Changing Text in Project File

  • 1
  • Problem
  • Updated 2 years ago
I have created some videos to demonstrate some software. The software and the website are available in several different languages, and I also have a resource file with all the text expressions from the video translated into different languages. What I have done is replace the text in the video with key place holders, so for example "This is how you open a file and do blah blah blah" is replaced with $OpenFile$. Then I can programatically go through each file and replace the keys with the relevant text in each language, and save the file as "MyVideo_en.tsproj", "MyVideo_es.tsproj" etc.

So far so good, all this works fine but when I open the file MyVideo_en.tsproj, for example, instead of "This is how you open a file and do blah blah blah", all I see is "This is how you". All the text items are truncated because Camtasia has remembered the size of the key. Is there anyway to work around this problem? I should add that making the key longer would not work either because the final length of the string will not always be the same, in Chinese it tends to be much shorter, for example. 

Thanks in advance for any help that anyone can offer.
Photo of richard

richard

  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

  • 1
Photo of richard

richard

  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I found a workaround for this so I will share it in case anyone finds it helpful. I am just padding both sides of the keys with $ signs until they are roughly the same length as the text in the longest translation file. Then I am replacing the key and any surrounding $'s. Even when the text is quite small at design time, where the text for any given language is relatively short the font seems to scale up when the video is compiled.
Photo of Charles Welford

Charles Welford

  • 143 Posts
  • 47 Reply Likes
1. If you use Camtasia 9 and its new Callouts (not the Legacy callouts from version 8), it automatically resizes the font  of the text so that it fits into the callout even though it might be longer or shorter than the original text.
2. I have written a program called CAMLOC.EXE that makes it easy to extract and translate Callouts. You can download it at http://www.screencast.com/t/BQW8UEW3S.
Please read the thread at https://feedback.techsmith.com/techsmith/topics/translate-callouts
I made a video explaining  the basic features at http://www.screencast.com/t/0E5B9uZxx
(Version 4.1 of CAMLOC.EXE has some new features not displayed in the video).
Photo of richard

richard

  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks very much for your reply, I will definitely check those links out. The videos were created using version 9 so there should not be a problem.