I wanted to update our community on where we are with the next release of Camtasia. This is part two of the previous post entitled TechSmith’s Camtasia Future Roadmap: https://feedback.techsmith.com/techsmith/topics/techsmiths-camtasia-future-roadmap
Currently, we are still under development with the largest part of the work stemming from the new cross-platform feature parity work, project collaboration workflows, and the update of the overall design.
We worked with a 3rd party vendor last year to run two large-scale betas. This year, we have been running smaller long-term and more focused betas with another larger beta being planned for sometime this summer. (There might be an opportunity for some people in this community to be involved in that. If there is, I will let you know how and when to apply.)
Many in this community have been invited into this smaller beta program to do specific testing on issues reported here in this forum.
We have a graphic and several videos we want to share with you to give you a sense of how we are progressing.
Please keep in mind the software is still very much in Beta condition. Therefore, the UI is not final, there are missing features, etc.
Comparison Between Windows and Mac UI
This comparison image shows the planned new UI of Camtasia – on both the Windows and Mac platforms.
http://www.screencast.com/t/1BzeZFpLN (Click link for a larger version)
General Overview of Planned User Interface
Here is a simple video showing the new user interface. :
Community Member Created Videos
The following videos below were made by people who are active in the beta AND in this Get Satisfaction community.
1. 64 Bit - Video by RickStone (Get Satisfaction user name)
2. Color Shift Issue – Video by Michiel Brand (Get Satisfaction user name)
3. Transitions for Camtasia on Mac – video by Jack Fruh (Get Satisfaction user name)
4. Various Features on Camtasia Windows – video by RichardCampbell (Get Satisfaction user name)
5. Callouts Overview – Video by RickStone (Get Satisfaction user name)
6. Color Adjustment - Video by Mary Vivit (Get Satisfaction user name)
7. User Interface Overview - Video by Mary Vivit (Get Satisfaction user name)
8. Voice Narration - - Video by Mary Vivit (Get Satisfaction user name)
We still anticipate the release to be before the end of this year. However, our priority is on getting the software design and function right rather than focusing on any specific release date.
We are very appreciative of all the conversation that centered around the other update we posted and are looking forward to your thoughts, ideas, and other feedback here.
I have watched your video previews and I see a bunch of big steps or Camtasia. I see that you mainly focus on the ergonomics of the application. Congratulations !
But we are waiting for other good features according to the ones offered by the competitors, the actual needs of the users, and also the actual possibilities of the technology like mobile technologies, social medias, e-learning technologies.
I suggest a previous feature that one of your competitor offers in his product that is called the Youtube video Outros offered by videomotion pro. Aftwer viewing a video in Youtube,this feature help the viewer select other videos from a menu placed at the end of the active video.
Again thanks for this big works !
Will 9 include increased playback speed along with preserving the pitch in the preview, for purposes of quicker editing? Ideally, this would include keyboard shortcuts for backwards, forwards, and stop like other video editing software suites. This would be a maaaaajor time saving feature.
I use Camtasia professionally. I am Youtuber, and I think I have edited around of 115 videos with Camtasia, I use it since 2010. I know the software very well.
I am in video editing since 2008. My strong points there are SONY VEGAS and Camtasia.
I would ask the Techsmith Development people to watch a video from Photodex (Proshow).
First I want to state clearly I use Camtasia and Proshow is not an option for me. Why not? Because Proshow do not edit videos with a time line, it is a slide system, and that method don't work for me. As a professional Youtuber I am, I need power editing videos, and the king is Camtasia.
Having that very clear, please, watch this video:
TEXT AND VIDEO EFFECTS PANEL.
BLUR, SHAKE, VANISH, MOVE, and so on. We need a very easy sytem, to drag and drop a bunch of collections full of effects for video and text. It must be an open system in which users can create their own effects and share them with family and friends.
- It must be so easy as drag and drop and create impact in the audience.
- It must be oriented to collections, completely customizable and allow users can connect among them and share their effects for video and texts.
- You should be able to download packs from a cloud server or directly shared by the users. You can sell a set of professional effects, but please, allow users can create their own effects and share them for free. It would just make mor and more famous Camtasia 9, making an standard to follow.
- Are you ready to offer more than 250 different video and text effects in Camtasia 9?
- What about video and text masking?
- What about 3D text effects?
- What about texturing texts? silver, gold, etc.
- What about light effects? color of lights, animation, lens effects, vignettes collections? etc.
Even if you have to delay some months the release of Camtasia 9, please, take very seriously the texts effects, because it is extremely important.
CLOUD MUSIC PANEL.
- It must be a system in which new artists can promote their new songs.
- You should be able to download songs and use them in Camtasia right away.
- It must be independent to the license system from Camtasia 9. Let's imagine someone is using a pirated version from Camtasia 9. Okay, even if that is happening, that pirated version should be able to access to the cloud music system.
- Sorry I talk so clear. I do not defend this at all, but, if you close the music system just to legal users from Camtasia, what would happen is it won't be so popular as if it is free and accessible for every one.
- So please, apply all the protection methods you want to protect your software, BUT, do not touch the music system, allow it be free and accessible for everyone. It is free publicity for the artist and enrich the software value day per day. Today we have 10.000 different songs in Camtasia, tomorrow we have 20.000 new songs and growing constantly. All people want the honey, so all people will go to Camtasia.
NEWS TICKER PANEL.
It must be a system in which users can use an assistant to create impressive collections of banners in the CNN style.
We need a news ticker system so impresive as CNN, FOX 6, etc.
Something like this.
Observe the richness of animations. That is impressive and attract the
audience. Actually you only can do this with After Effects. We need an
easy system to allow text, banners and background video, animated.
THE NEW ZOOM PANEL
- Most of the time I spend using Camtasia is just applying different kind of zooms to my videos.
- The automatic system offered by Camtasia 8 don't work well... so finally you have to do the zooms yourself.
- It is a very painful job. It takes hours and hours. There is a way to save time and make this change completely. This idea is completely new, no one developed it before.
- I thought in this after coffee and coffee working editing the videos.
- Many users from Youtube send me private messages telling me that "they subscribe to my channel because I zoom the videos so they can see everything perfect"
- You must be able to create zooms and save them, so you can use them later on, just pressing in the zoom panel tab, and selecting the name of the zoom you have saved.
- The zoom is automatically applied.
- If you have 4 or 5 zooms (up right corner, up left corner, down right corner, down right corner, center screen), you have covered all the areas from the screen, that can be zoomified instantly, without having to drag boxes for zoom everytime you need it.
It would be so easy as drag the zoom box, create the desired zoom effect and press save. It would ask for a descriptive text, and I would type for example: THREE QUARTERS LEFT UP ZOOM.
That zoom is now saved.
Next time I want to apply it, I won't have to repeat all the whole zoom process, just place the cursor in the timeline and click in the descriptive name: THREE QUARTERS LEFT UP ZOOM.
Why do I need a new Camtasia if I cannot use the whole memory of my computer? 64 bits, is very necessary.
If I could help in any way testing betas or suggesting ideas, just please, let me know.
I'm willing to help.
I'll leave others to answer this very long post. Clearly you have not watched all the movies specific to version 9. Rick Stone has a very good video demonstrating that Camtasia version 9 is 64 bit.
There are already very good platforms to promote offerings for musicians, YouTube worked pretty well for Justin Beiber,
Moderators - is it possible to pin this thread to the top of the GetSatisfaction page?
I know it is probably too late but I feel I need to make a last stand request for version 9, complete with rearing horse, bugle and shooting arrows:
Please please please please please, can we have an improvement on Quizzing - particularly with regard to providing feedback for wrong answers. This is extremely important to the instructional designer in all of us. Also, branching and logic would be useful :)
Still suffering through Camtasia 8 and it's horrible performance on modern hardware... Not heard anything beyond a closed beta last year... any chance TechSmith will grace us with an update?
Hope you can consider eventually adding some spotlight improvements, if not in 9.0 maybe shortly thereafter:
1. Multiple spotlights - At times I need to spotlight multiple parts of the screen at same time.
2. Custom shapes - The software I do videos for is academic, and that means working with texts. I oftentimes need to spotlight sections of text. That means I have to be able to create a rectangle, and then remove parts of that rectangle to correspond to the sentence or section that I need to point out.
3. Rounded corners - Looks more professional oftentimes
4. Softened, feathered edges - Looks more professional oftentimes
As best I can tell, these aren't possible even in collaboration with Snagit 13. I do have a workaround that achieves all of them (cf. https://feedback.techsmith.com/techsmith/topics/spotlight-feature-requests-and-my-current-workaround...) but would love to see these features in Camtasia.